Under UK immigration laws, you may be able to apply as an adult student under Tier 4 (General) Student of the points-based system if you want to receive your post-16 education in the UK.
The course that you intend to study must be at an acceptable level and provided by an education provider which is a licensed Tier 4 (General) sponsor.
You will also have to have acceptable English language skills. For all applications made after 21 April 2011, your education provider must ensure that:
- you are competent in English language at a minimum of CEFR level B2, if you will be enrolling on a course at NQF 6/QCF 6/SCQF 9 or above (unless you are a gifted student studying at a higher education institution); or
- you are competent in English language at a minimum of CEFR level B1, if you will be enrolling on a course at NQF 3-5/QCF 3-5/SCQF 6-8; or
- you are a national of a majority English-speaking country.
You will also need to show that you can cover your course fees and your living costs when you apply for an adult student visa under Tier 4 (General) of the points-based system.
As a Tier 4 (General) Student, you must score 40 points in the points-based assessment. You can score:
- 30 points for having a valid confirmation of acceptance for studies, which you get for studying a course at an acceptable level with an approved education provider (also known as a 'Tier 4 sponsor'), and for having acceptable English language skills; and
- 10 points for having enough money (also known as maintenance or funds) to cover your course fees and living costs
If you are sponsored by a higher education institution on a course at NQF level 7 or above which lasts 12 months or more; or are a new government-sponsored student following a course which lasts longer than 6 months, you may be able to bring your spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner; and your children aged under 18 years old to the UK,
Other student immigration routes include the Tier 4 (Child) Student visa, Student Visitor visa, Prospective Student visa and Child Visitor visa.